Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The economy is bad these days and I'm looking for a full time job to supplement my part time income. I heard that there’s lots of “Joe Jobs” on construction sites and handyman jobs that pay several dollars more than minimum wage, which is what I earn with my part-time job working in fashion retail. Construction companies are “Equal Opportunity Employers” in Canada nowadays which means that they hire women to fill those shoes too! Actually, these companies don’t have a choice but to hire a token woman to fill a few jobs because the Human Rights Commission and Labour Board are savvy on the discrimination towards women. 


Here’s the catch, well, most of the time anyway … … you have to own your own tools to do the job. 

Ohhh, if I had a hammer … …



I remember when “Men were men and women were women” and women settled for being Barbies and Cinderellas. 

Weren’t they charming … … Oh, weren’t they just lovely!




Or, do you prefer Julie Andrews ... ...



 Here's the Walt Disney version ... ...



And, here’s the multicultural version. 

Is that Canada’s Governor General, Michaelle Jean, making a cameo appearance playing the Queen in this version?



The original story was written by

Of course, the Women's Rights movement all started with the Suffragettes. 
It hasn’t helped my mother-daughter relationship. What about yours?


... ... and forward we march with the Suffragettes on their quest for freedom and equality. 

Oh, it’s made all the difference … … don’t you think?










Well, I have a hammer in my tool belt now and I'm shopping for a pair of steel-toed construction boots, matching construction socks, two pairs of work pants, a few co-coordinating shirts and a lunch box and a thermos. Add to that a construction hat and a hair clip to put up my hair with that is comfortable to wear under the construction hat to keep my hair away from my face and out of my eyes because hair in your eyes is a safety hazard on the construction site. 

Parfum?

 I’ll settle for scented deodorant … …


No comments: