Saturday, February 23, 2008

So, I had a spat with the bosses and I’m no longer employed!

Well, now that I’m unemployed, I decided to open one of those bank accounts with free chequing, free withdrawals, free …., free …, free …, and they even pay a percent or two more interest.
`
What does this tell you? I’ve hit rock bottom.

I've always thought those accounts (or anything for that matter) that offer free … free … free … stuff, somewhere along the line, leaves someone unemployed and others not earning much. I also thought these types of accounts were for hard-core penny pinchers who don’t care if people work or not or earn what they’re worth. It amazes me how many people who hold good paying jobs and have money to burn (but don’t) take advantage of these services. I always thought those people were digging their graves. I thought in some intangible, supernatural way they will lose some money to make up for all the penny pinching they do. To think that by a lot of people paying a few extra dollars in bank fees every month someone will have a job.

I now fall into the same group as they do. No! I really, really don’t have the money to burn and at this point I’m so grateful this type of service is available just for people like me. Not them!

That extra bit of interest they pay on my account will come in handy except I don’t have any money invested. I do, however, own a credit card with their brand and I’ve had it for over a year. It earns points I can use to make purchases in their associated stores. I don’t do Air Miles and I try to pay mostly with cash because I’m sure somewhere down the line I’ll pay for taking all that free stuff. But, right now I’m soooo glad I have this type of credit card (or two) because it is soooo helpful. I’m sure one day I’ll get back on my feet and if I somehow, supernaturally lose some money in an intangible way, at that point, I’ll deserve it but I’ll be so grateful for these services I used to get back up on my feet.

No comments: